Constructed in the 1880s after the Russo-Turkish war with funds provided by Tsar Alexander III, New Athos monastery had more political rather religious implications. From 1924 the monastery was closed and used for different purposes. Only after the war in 1994, it was returned to the Orthodox Church. The church does not have a permanent priest. All the masses are pre-recorded and played in the Russian and Greek languages.
New Athos, Abkhazia. October 2016